The General Deparment of Customs and Excise of Cambodia (GDCE) was established in Sangkum Reasniyum by Royal Decree 661 of 29 June 1951. Until 1975, the mandate of the directors of the GDCE was only two years, and directors were nominated by the government as follow:
The operations of the GDCE were suspended from 1975 to 1979 during the Khmer Rouge regime. It resumed operations on 13 August 1979 under the guidance of the Ministry of Commerce, and was transferred to the Ministry of Economy and Finance (MEF) by sub-decree 06 ANKR of 11 March 1988.
Since 1979, the GDCE has been led by:
The GDCE became the 155th member of the World Customs Organization (WCO) in June 2001, the date of its 50th anniversary.