The Cambodia Customs Administration was first established in 1951 by the Royal Decree No. 661 dated 29 June 1951. The operations of the Cambodia Customs Administration were suspended from 1975 to 1979 during the Khmer Rouge regime. The customs operation was resumed by the Government’s Decision to establish Customs and Excise Department (CED) dated 13 August 1979. Sub-decree 06 dated 11 March 1988 transferred the CED from MOC to MEF. The CED was upgraded to the General Department of Customs and Excise of Cambodia (GDCE) by Sub-decree 134 dated 15 September 2008. The GDCE is a public administration under the Ministry of Economy and Finance.

Up to 1975, the mandate of Director of cutoms and excise whom is the management of this unit was 2 years and the Director of customs and excise was nominated by the royal government of Cambodia which component is as following:

No Year in Position Name Note
1 1952 Mr. EAR Sichov Business student from France
2 1954 Mr. KEO Mongkry Business Student from France
3 1956 Mr. UCH Samsem Chief of Customs and Excise
4 1958 Mr. KOCH San Chief of Customs and Excise
5 1960 Mr. NHEUK Nou Royal Palace Officer
6 1962 Mr. CHUM Yaem Royal Palace Officer
7 1963 Mr. CHHIN Raen Chief of Customs and Excise
8 1964 Mr. CHUM Yaem Chief of Customs and Excise
9 1966 Mr. HOU Hong Royal Palace Officer
10 1968 Mr. CHUM Yaem Chief of Customs and Excise
11 1970 Mr. SO Khamkhoy Chief of Customs and Excise
12 1972 Mr. CHUM Yaem Chief of Customs and Excise
13 1974 Mr. KIM Son Director of Public Works
14 1975 Mr. KONG Sarin Chief of Customs and Excise
15 1979 – 1997 Mr. SOR Ho Chief of Customs and Excise
16 1997 – 1998 Mr. IN Sareoung Chief of Customs and Excise
17 1998 – 2014 H.E Dr. PEN Siman Delegation of the Royal Government in charge as Director General of GDCE
18 2014 September – Present H.E Dr. KUN Nhem Delegation of the Royal Government in charge as Director General of GDCE

GDCE has become 155th member of WCO (World Customs Organization) in June 2011 on the 50th anniversary of the GDCE.